Marriage Licenses

Marriage License Requirements

  • Both parties must be present to apply
  • A fee of $60 must be paid in cash only.
  • Parties must have the following documentation:
    • Current Driver’s License/State ID
    • Social Security Card

*Please fill out a license application before scheduling an appointment. Filling out an online application does not automatically schedule an appointment*

Step One:

Step Two:

Waiting Period & Expiration

There is no waiting period. The license must be used within 30 days in the State of Missouri.

Please call and schedule an appointment for a marriage license 24 hours in advance.

Marriage License filing Requirements in Butler County, Missouri

To Apply:

1st and 2nd parties must visit our office together to apply for a Marriage License.
Be 18 years of age or over.
Each applicant must have Valid ID and Social Security Card

  1. VALID (U.S.) Driver’s License or ID card – will not accept expired card
  2. VALID Passport – will not accept expired passport
  • Pay $60.00 cash fee at the time of application (sorry, no checks) includes one certified copy.
  • Parent or guardian for consent (age 15-17).
  • Under 15 years of age requires a court order (RSM0 451.090 1).
  • The custodian giving consent to the marriage should be one of the persons named on the birth certificate. Custodial parents are also required to have proper identification valid picture ID, Social Security card and documentation that they are in fact the custodial parent.
  • A Marriage License is only good for 30 days from the date of issuance in the state of Missouri. You get the license the same day of application. There is NO 3 day waiting period in Missouri.
  • Explains who can perform marriages in the State of Missouri: Marriages may be solemnized by any clergyman, either active or retired, who is in good standing with any church or synagogue in this state. Marriages may also be solemnized, without compensation, by any judge, including a municipal judge. Marriages may also be solemnized by a religious society, religious institution, or religious organization of this state, according to the regulations and customs of the society, institution or organization, when either party to the marriage to be solemnized is a member of such society, institution or organization.
  • Penalty for failure to return of marriage license. Every officer or person performing the ceremony is required by law to return the completed license to the Butler County Recorder of Deed’s office within 15 days of the ceremony.
  • Penalty for solemnizing Marriage without license. Any person who shall solemnize any marriage wherein the parties have not obtained a license, as provided by this chapter, or shall fail to keep a record of the solemnization of any marriage, shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction shall be fined not exceeding $500.00.

After your Marriage:

Name change and Marital Status (female)

A certified copy of your marriage license is required by Social Security to change your name.

Return and Record of Marriage:
The person performing the ceremony must complete the left portion of the license, have two witnesses sign it, and return the completed license to the Butler County Recorder of Deeds office within 15 days after the wedding. The license becomes a permanent record. (The right portion is the Marriage Certificate is filled out by the minister and is retained by the parties as evidence of the marriage).

Blood relatives, down t-0 and including first cousins, may not marry under the laws of the State of Missouri. Applicants (a male and a female) must be 18 years of age to marry without parental consent. Persons between the ages of 15 and 17 may obtain a license with the consent of a parent or legal guardian. Parents or legal guardians must give consent in person (at the time of application) and have proper identification and proof of custody if divorced or never married. If legal guardian is giving consent, a certified copy of guardianship papers must be presented.
Previously married applicants must give the date their last marriage ended. Persons divorced less than 30 days may apply for a marriage license if they acknowledge, in writing, they understand the divorce can be appealed or set aside within 30 days by the court of jurisdiction.

Copies are available as soon as the marriage license has been returned to our office.

Certified Copy: $9.00
Military Purposes: No Charge